Figured I would upload something to prove that I'm still working on this costume, hah. I finalized the obi fabric I would be using. It is 100% cotton and rather thin, unfortunately. But I made some mockups and found a satisfactory combination of cotton batting+interfacing to get the right thickness and stiffness to her obi.
This is a practice piece and not the final embroidery. I wanted to test out some ideas I had for stitches and finalize the color combinations to make sure I got the look I wanted. That's why a lot of stuff is not even and the purple gradient for the flower could be a lot better. But the embroidery is relaxing. ^^
The vines are outlined with 2 rows of a split stitch and then satin stitched over. The outline of the flowers is one row of split stitch and then satin stitched. The flower uses 6 colors and long and short stitch. Everything in the blue 'flower' is outlined in split stitch and then satin stitched over.